It matters to us that Team O2 is as diverse as the communities we serve.
We’re aware that we need more diversity in our senior leadership roles, so we welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
Whoever you are, O2 has a place for you.
Come join us.
Job grade: PCGT/VM Level 6
Location(s): Flexible, close to Slough/Reading may be beneficial
Closing Date: 19/07/2022
About the Team
To protect the revenue and brand name of VMO2 by providing 3rd Line Technical Support and 24 hour call out on a rota basis for Telco Cloud infrastructure on which all voice, data and messaging services operate.
To Lead, coordinate, manage and investigate faults escalated to the team, escalating where necessary to the equipment Vendors.
To provide workarounds and processes for 1st, 2nd level and field engineers. To manage, coach and mentor support engineers to increase their Technical and Managerial skills.
About the role
The main role and our purpose in operations is to protect the customer experience. We do this by ensuring we understand the network topology and then engage with and support our design colleagues to provide us with adequate redundancy.
We use tried and tested methods to isolate, work around or mitigate failures in the network to ensure the customer never has a bad experience connecting or using our data/voice/messaging services.
We use in-house skills to develop scripts where we feel these help in keeping the network stable and protected.
We constantly strive to improve our monitoring tools, teams, and methods.
As the last point of escalation before we engage our vendors – it is our role to ensure those around us, 1st and 2nd line teams and all our other operations colleagues find us approachable, competent and effective.
We do whatever it takes to protect our customers experience whilst maintaining a ‘can do’ attitude and challenge where we feel appropriate.
- Be able to take command, in a pressurised environment, when major service failures occur. This may include pulling together a virtual team, at very short notice, when an investigation cross multiple platforms/environments.
- Act as escalation point, in and out of hours, when major service failures occur.
- To provide operational consultancy to projects, always protecting the customer.
- Work in a small team to provide third line support for the infrastructure and applications detailed above.
- Ability to grasp complex technical situations very quickly and relay information to senior management in a “layman’s manner”.
- To advise and participate in the introduction of new network elements, applications, and services, including new features – liaising as necessary with other VMO2 departments, vendors, and project managers.
- Take responsibility, ownership, and coordinate fault resolution. Work alongside a team of engineers where necessary to fix faults that are raised against the supported elements, networks, or applications,
- Drive through the resolution within the agreed SLA, following the escalation process where needed.
- For service outages caused by a failure – lead the investigation into the RCA producing the required reports and co-ordinate any fix activities required to prevent further failures.
- Provide assistance to other teams to help identify root cause for failures on their supported elements. We are all one team in operations.
- Ensure all processes and procedures are documented and controlled in accordance with the VMO2 Quality process.
- As part of ongoing network improvements – identify any inadequacies with existing infrastructure and processes and propose recommendations to improve the existing infrastructure and work practices.
- To represent Mobile Data Services (MDS) in project definition workshops, platform change control, operational reviews and meetings with other departments and vendors as required.
- Ensure adequate call out rota in place to provide 24*7 cover.
- Provide Helpdesk Support for BAU cases from 1st/2nd line during the day – on a planned rota basis
What We Need from You:
- Demonstrable experience of providing operational leadership
- Experience in network service ownership and accountability to services in your line management
- Expert knowledge of the following:
- Experience in NFV/SDN solutions and cloud management including Virtualization and Cloud native platform
- VMWare Telco Cloud Platform components, namely: vCloud Director, vSphere, vCenter vRealize products (vRealize Operations, Orchestrator, Log inside and network inside), NSX-T, Telco Cloud Automation (TCA) and VMWare Tanzu Kubernetes Grid (TKG);
- OSM (Open Source MANO)
- Arista/Cloud Vision and SDN
- Infrastructure knowledge in general (hypervisor, computing, storage, Network – physical or virtual);
- Virtualized Dell/HP servers with VMWare
- Maintain Cloud Infra availability levels to meet SLAs
- Develop and perform failover test and reporting.
We’ll be sending you emails about the status of your application. To make sure you receive these, please add @O2.com and @telefonica.com to your Safe Senders list.
We’re looking to pay a great compensation package (depending on experience) for this position. We also offer plenty of extras to sweeten the deal, which could include things like bonuses, life assurance cover, health care and lots of flexible benefits.
Also, every employee has their personal development supported with a LinkedIn learning account; plus other role specific learning available through our award-winning digital learning platform – O2 Campus.
We also believe a great work-life balance is important, so we’re open to considering flexible working arrangements. Like to know more, feel free to raise it.
Join us and we’ll encourage you to be bold every day. So take a deep breath, your career is about to go to exciting new places.
If you have any questions around the role then please email ResourceTUK@o2.com who will be happy to help.