Tesco Mobile is the UK’s largest MVNO with over 5 million customers and industry leading customer satisfaction. We’re a totally unique business, a 50/50 joint venture between Telefonica O2 and Tesco that launched back in 2003.
Being part of Telefonica, one of the world’s most creative digital companies, we’re able to open up all sorts of possibilities – not just for customers, but for the people who work for us, too.
Great benefits. Great rewards. High-quality training. Ongoing career development. Flexible working. These are just some of the reasons we attract great talent.
Our inclusive approach to recruitment helps us be a true reflection of our customers and their communities. That’s why everybody’s welcome – it’s time to get everyone in the room.
What do the team do?
The Data, Insight & Analytics Tribe is building a platform for the future that delivers capability to delight customers (external and internal) whilst also driving a culture where every decision is powered by data.
The Data Platforms Squad is the fulcrum point for data within Tesco Mobile, sourcing data from multiple sources and making it available to various teams / systems / third parties around the business for BI / CRM and various BSS systems.
The team manages multiple data platforms, among them the core Insight database, an Azure/Databricks analytics platform, an operational data store in Azure supporting APIs and a platform supporting the data generated by a real-time billing system.
In support of the business’ long-term strategic ambition to become a leader in data-driven modelling and decision-making it has a vital role to play in all activities the business undertakes.
How will you fit into this?
The Data Platforms Squad is primarily concerned with sourcing, managing and providing data. The data comprehensively records customer interactions with the business and helps Tesco Mobile deliver industry-leading customer experience as well as the ability to be innovative and profitable.
As a member of the squad you will be tasked with providing innovative and resilient solutions to the various challenges that arise.
You will be undertaking all aspects of the development lifecycle and be experienced in data modelling, process design, development and testing. Most development will initially be in the form of SQL stored procedures and scripting, with some use of SSIS and PowerBI.
With ambitious plans to better exploit the data lake at our disposal by migrating data to an Azure/Databricks environment this is an opportunity to be at the cutting edge of data engineering.
You will work closely with the Data Platforms Product Owner to deliver capability wherever the greatest business need exists.
Some of the more specific responsibilities:
- Belong to the Data Platforms Squad responsible for end-to-end delivery of a product to deliver value
- Bring your individual expertise to the squad to deliver at pace using short cycles of experimentation with a ‘fail-fast-learn-fast’ attitude
- Participate in all squad ceremonies and events, raising impediments as soon as identified to facilitate delivery
- Inspect and adapt your way of working for continuous improvement
- Embody an Agile mindset and culture to contribute to the growth in agile maturity of our business
- Work in cycles of sprints, using priorities set through the product backlog
- Be an autonomous, trusted decision maker able to self-organise use your knowledge and expertise to deliver the right solution for the customer
- Develop and support applications using SQL Server 2012 through SQL Server 2019, T-SQL, SSIS, VB Script, Python
- Be responsible for maintaining data security
- Provide project support
- Perform SQL server database administration
- Monitor performance
- Perform database housekeeping
- Complete requirements capture/design
- Perform data modelling
- Provide ad-hoc support to Tribes and Centres of Excellence across the business
What we need from you:
- Extensive SQL Server development experience
- Stored procedure development
- Experience of dealing with large datafeeds / files
- Understanding of database encryption
- Understanding of GDPR and management of data
- Understanding performance tuning and optimisation
- Ability to resolve data-related problems
- Ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical people, effectively and constructively
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively in a team
- CRM experience
- SQL Server 2012-2019
- Exposure to Azure/Databricks
- Knowledge of SQL server database administration
- Job scheduling
- sFTP S3
- Data modelling
- API/Web services development
Salary and benefits:
We’re looking to pay a competitive salary (depending on experience) for this position. We also offer plenty of extras to sweeten the deal, which could include things like bonuses, life assurance cover, health care, holiday entitlement and lots of flexible benefits. We also believe a great work-life balance is important, so we’re open to considering part time and flexible approaches to working. Like to know more? Feel free to raise it.
If you have any questions about the role then please email ResourceTUK@o2.com who will be happy to help.
We’ll be sending you emails about the status of your application. To make sure you receive these, please add @O2.com and @telefonica.com to your Safe Senders list.
We’re looking to pay a great compensation package (depending on experience) for this position. We also offer plenty of extras to sweeten the deal, which could include things like bonuses, life assurance cover, health care and lots of flexible benefits.
Also, every employee has their personal development supported with a LinkedIn learning account; plus other role specific learning available through our award-winning digital learning platform – O2 Campus.
We also believe a great work-life balance is important, so we’re open to considering flexible working arrangements. Like to know more, feel free to raise it.
Join us and we’ll encourage you to be bold every day. So take a deep breath, your career is about to go to exciting new places.
We have recently announced that we will be moving towards a more blended working week – combining office and remote working, leveraging the advantages of face-to-face connectivity and enjoying the flexibility and productivity of remote working.
Our base will be the office, where we connect, collaborate and innovate – and there will be the expectation for everyone to be physically together more time than apart. For Head Office roles we therefore expect colleagues to spend a proportion of their time in the office location listed on the job description.
We are supportive of colleagues having conversations with hiring managers about what office presence will look like in the context of the role
If you have any questions around the role then please email ResourceTUK@o2.com who will be happy to help.