With the next few weeks being taken up with examinations, we’ve put together some great student meals to help through those long hours!!
Onion and Mushroom Quesadillas
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients: 3 tablespoons olive oil; 2 red onions; 1 teaspoon caster sugar; 8 flour tortillas; 200g button mushrooms (sliced); 150g grated cheddar cheese; chopped parsley; salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in large frying pan.
- Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add sugar and cook until caramelized (3/4 minutes).
- Remove onions and set to one side.
- Heat remaining olive oil in frying pan, add mushrooms, and cook until golden brown (3/4 minutes)
- Using a non stick frying pan, heat and add one tortilla. Place red onions, mushrooms, cheddar and parsley onto tortilla.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with another tortilla, cook until browned on underside.
- Repeat on other side.
- Cut into wedges and dig in!
Cherry Pecan Fried Goats Cheese
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients: 12 ounces (or 3 small packages) goats cheese; 1/3 cup flour; one egg white; 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt; 1 cup x panko breadcrumbs; 2 cups x canola oil; 1/2 cup dried tart cherries; 1/2 chopped dry pecans.
- Place flour in a small bowl.
- Using a separate bowl, mix egg white and 2 tablespoons water.
- Place panko and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt into a separate bowl.
- Roll goat cheese into 24 1 tablespoon-sized balls. Add cherries and pecans to each ball as you roll.
- Place in the fridge for about an hour or the freezer for 20 minutes to make sure they are firm and sturdy.
- Coat each goat cheese ball in the flour mixture. Dip in the egg and make sure that all of the outer surface is covered. Coat with the panko mixture
- Heat oil to 350° in a deep saucepan (recommended) over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add 2 or three goat cheese balls to the oil and allow them to fry for about 30 seconds, or until the entire coating is crispy and browned. Take out of the oil using a slotted spoon and place on a cookie rack or paper towel to dry.
- Serve warm topped with a drizzle of pomegranate balsamic vinegar (optional).