Project Seagrass Saving the Worlds Seagrass
We ve recently launched our 10 year strategy to Save the Worlds Seagrass. Project Seagrass is a charitable organisation that has grown rapidly in recent years and we re excited about the opportunities that the delivery of this new strategy provides to make a real difference to the marine environment. This is an exciting moment to join us: we re an organisation with some ambitious aims and only as a team can we deliver on our mission.
Project Seagrass was created with the intention of reversing the loss of seagrass by turning research into effective conservation action and communication both directly and through partnerships with communities and other stakeholders. Our journey as an organisation has taught us that achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and how we work together. As a dedicated transdisciplinary team, we are passionate about securing a future for seagrass.
At Project Seagrass we have a pivotal role as a leading UK and international charity aiming to lead societal change to enable the recognition, recovery and resilience of seagrass ecosystems globally; that provide biodiversity, equitable and sustainable livelihoods, and planetary life support. Communicating science, evidence and practice in seagrass conservation and restoration to support these aims is critical for delivering our mission and new strategy. We seek to communicate evidence in a way that is robust and transparent, and that is also relevant and accessible to national, international and local audiences, including the general public, stakeholders, policymakers, and practitioners.
We are looking for a Communications Officer to support strategic communications both internally and externally. This role is an integral part of our close-knit team. Working proactively and creatively, you will support all internal and external communications.
We are looking for a self-starter with good foundational communications skills and experience, as well as excellent organisational skills, who is looking to take the next step in their career supported by a dedicated and friendly team. We are looking for someone who is passionate and driven to make a difference. We offer flexible working, support for work-life balance, provide above-average leave entitlement, learning and development opportunities and an accessible office location in Bridgend close to the stunning South Wales coastline. We also offer generous maternity and paternity benefits. We value diversity and welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background and encourage anyone with relevant drive and experience to apply. We re particularly interested in diversity and place a high value on varied experiences so please get in touch if you think you could contribute to our overarching mission in this role.
Initial closing date: Midnight on Sunday 18th February 2024
(the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found)
Interviews: Tuesday 27th February
For an informal discussion, please contact emma.p(at)projectseagrass.org
Please send your CV & cover letter to emma.p(at)projectseagrass.org
Role title: Communications Officer
Hours: 35 hours / week
Salary: £25,00-£28,000 starting salary and dependent on experience
Benefits: 29 days annual leave, flexible working, fantastic team environment, excellent location (10 mins from Glamorgan Heritage coast, near to the Gower and Bannau Brycheiniog (formerly Brecon Beacons), commutable from the cities of Cardiff or Swansea)
Line Manager: CEO
Direct reports: CEO
Purpose of the role:
– To increase the impact our mission through internal and external communications using all available media tools. There will be a focus on developing appropriate content in line with the Project Seagrass brand and tone of voice through outlets including, but not limited to, newsletters, information leaflets, blogs, media and other comms channels.
– To deliver impactful email marketing campaigns, producing both scheduled and organic content, managing day-to-day correspondence through PS info mail account and responding to requests as in a timely and professional manor.
– To support and share our communication strategy, key messaging and tone of voice with the PS team, acting as a care take for our brand.
– To provide creativity as you support, collaborate with, and empower our team to deliver impactful communications.
– Communications is a fast paced environment and you will be working with all aspects of the organisation to communicate up-to-date information both internally and externally.
Key duties & responsibilities:
– Source, write and copy-edit text for email, press releases, website, social media and newsletters.
– Work closely with project leads to ensure that relevant and newsworthy content is promoted via all comms channels.
– Support the creation of engaging content for all media platforms with the aim of increasing our presence and number of followers.
– Manage our social media channels hosting supported content creation scheduled for maximum impact and strategic balance.
– Proactively manage the PS social media community and respond appropriately
– Plan, create and manage effective email campaigns and automations, optimising PS email marketing and tracking KPI s.
– Support PS media engagement by monitoring and responding to press inquiries, directing to appropriate team members.
– Developing and maintaining an up-to-date media contact list and developing internal reporting on media coverage.
– Coordinate other communication materials including flyers, posters and digital resources.
– Advise and support the wider PS team on the communication strategy
– Act as a brand guardian, sense checking outputs to ensure consistency in messaging and tone of voice.
– Regularly check and subscribe to relevant news platforms and websites to ensure that our social media account is up to date with industry best practice.
– Respond to general enquiries received and/or forwarding enquiries to the team
– Support creation of infographics and other engaging communication assets.
– Respond to ad-hoc requests and any other duties that are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the post.
Press & Marketing Activity
– Answer media enquiries and draft responses on behalf PS
– Prepare press releases as opportunities arise and coordinate PS media and public relations with support from the wider team.
– Ensure marketing to current audience is on brand and plan, prepare and deliver on ways to market to new audiences
– Maintain and update the PS website with relevant content
– Deliver all charity communication e-newsletters to members/supporters/subscribers
– Work with external agencies to plan, brief and deliver PR for our work.
– Seasonal fieldwork activities when operationally required for delivery of in touch communications
General duties & responsibilities:
– Attend meetings as the role requires and particularly where comms support is required for project delivery.
– Participate in and support organisational events.
– Work in accordance with safety, health and sustainability policies.
– Promote equality and diversity in working practices and maintain positive working relationships.
Skills and Experience
– Prior experience within the charity sector.
– Demonstrable experience in a similar role.
– Excellent communication skills.
– Excellent team working and inter-personal skills.
– Exceptional copywriting and copyediting skills with a strong eye for detail and the ability to write for multiple audiences.
– Familiar with the tactics and strategies that sit behind impactful marketing.
– Confident to work with Mailchimp and WordPress, and proficient across all social media platforms.
– Previous experience of media engagement.
– A good understanding of performance reporting, how to set benchmarks, measure against KPIs and provide recommendations for improvement.
– Strong understanding and use of effective internal and external communications.
– Able to work under pressure, prioritise tasks and meet key deadlines.
– Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
– Belief in the mission, vision and values of Project Seagrass.
– A desire to make a positive difference.
– Outstanding communication skills.
– Positive approach to personal and professional development.
– Positive approach to team working.
– Highly creative with a keen interest in media engagement.
– Well organised with a structured but flexible approach.
– Self-motivated, able to apply and use initiative and seek guidance when needed.
– Ability to work independently.
– Full clean UK driving licence.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE “APPLY NOW” BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS