ARK ALEXANDRA ACADEMY
Head of Physics
Start date: April / September 2024 or as soon as possible
Location: Ark Alexandra Academy, Hastings, East Sussex
Salary: Ark Outside London Main/Upper Pay Scales: £30,570 to £48,390 + TLR 2C £7,847 and up to £5k relocation package
Closing date: 9.00 am on 23 February 2024
The school reserves the right to withdraw this advert if a suitable candidate is appointed before the closing date. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early for this role to avoid disappointment.
We are looking for a proactive and inspiring Head of Physics to oversee the subject and be a part of our friendly, supportive and hard-working Science department. The successful candidate will play a vital role in fostering curiosity, critical thinking, and to help instil a love for scientific exploration among our students.
The department offers a combined science program to all students and triple science to the most able. This continues into our sixth form where we teach A-levels in Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Psychology.
For more information please read the job description and person specification in the information pack available for download.
We’re looking for an individual who:
- Combine subject expertise with a passion for securing the highest outcomes
- Is able to communicate effectively with students of all abilities
- Have the commitment, skills and character required to build a successful department
- Share the Ark Alexandra Academy vision and be aligned with the six pillars underpinning it
- Is a great teacher themselves. We are looking for a leader who really knows what great learning looks like in the classroom and how to achieve it.
Ark Alexandra is a two-campus secondary academy with a Sixth Form provision in Hastings, East Sussex and is the largest secondary with 6 th form in the Ark network. A popular school, we have grown to have over 1,600 students this year. We work across a split site which brings with it unique opportunities for growth and development. At our most recent Ofsted inspection in September 2021, Leadership & Management, Behaviour & Attitudes, Personal Development and Sixth Form were all judged to be Good.
Ark Alexandra works closely with our feeder primary schools, Ark Blacklands, Ark Little Ridge and Ark Castledown, all of which have exceptional leadership graded as Outstanding by Ofsted.
As a Church of England school, our values of faith, excellence and kindness underpin our ethos, culture and behaviour. We have an inclusive admissions policy that welcomes, without preference, students of all faith and none. Our vision is to create a truly great school for the young people in Hastings. We believe that everyone deserves to be accepted, included, and empowered to live a purposeful and fulfilling life.
What we offer:
- Salary higher than the national pay scales
- Twice as many training days as standard and network-wide events with Ark colleagues, held by the best minds in education
- Weekly staff training designed to meet the needs of the school
- Coaching for every teacher
- Protected co-planning time
- Access to the high-quality, professional development, including nationally recognised qualifications such as the NPQML and NPQSL
- Opportunities to collaborate with colleagues across the network
At Ark Alexandra in Hastings, we are committed to helping staff with relocation. In addition to offering up to £5,000 we can help you make a smooth transition into our school and sea-side community. We recognise the challenges of moving to a new area, and as such we offer:
- Information on local housing options, and connections to good property agents
- Advise on school enrolment for staff members’ children
- Additionally, we foster a welcoming environment by connecting new employees with existing staff members who can offer guidance on settling into the community of Hastings.
The school’s commitment to supporting the relocation process reflects our dedication to creating a supportive and inclusive work environment for all staff members.
How to apply:
Please click ‘apply’ on the website you are visiting to complete an online application form.
Please note: we are unable to accept applications via CV and are unable to offer sponsorship at this time. We will also be reviewing applications on an on-going basis and this advert may close earlier than advertised depending on the level of response. Early application is strongly encouraged. You will be able to pause, save and log back in to complete your application up until the vacancy closes.
If you’re interested in further information about our school, please visit our website – or to find out more about Ark Schools, please read Why Join an Ark School? from available for download from the application website.
To arrange an informal conversation about the role or an informal visit, please contact HR on
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in its academies. In order to meet this responsibility, its academies follow a rigorous selection process to discourage and screen out unsuitable applicants.
Ark requires all employees to undertake an enhanced DBS check. You are required, before appointment, to disclose any unspent conviction, cautions, reprimands or warnings under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975. Non-disclosure may lead to termination of employment. However, disclosure of a criminal background will not necessarily debar you from employment – this will depend upon the nature of the offence(s) and when they occurred. To read more about Ark’s safer recruitment process, please click this link .