We are a leading manufacturer of convenience food in the UK and our purpose is to make every day taste better.
We’re a vibrant, fast-paced, leading food manufacturer, employing 14,000 colleagues across 16 world-class manufacturing sites and 18 distribution depots across the UK. We supply all the major supermarkets in the UK. We also supply convenience and travel retail outlets, discounters, coffee shops, foodservice and other retailers.
This is a dynamic and innovative field, which therefore brings many technical challenges relating to how we manufacture our many food products.
As such, this role is perfect for anyone that has a passion for food and are keen to learn about all of the moving parts that go into making our food safe, legal and consistently high quality for consumers.
We’re looking for our next generation of Technical Apprentices to develop and grow a career with Greencore. Based at one of our manufacturing sites, you will provide technical support while developing your skills in key aspects of the Technical function. You will have the opportunity to gain experience across a number of departments to become a multi-skilled technical professional.
Here at Park Royal
, we have a team of around 1,150 colleagues. We produce sandwiches, wraps and platters for some of the biggest retailers in the UK including Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Morrisons, Co-op, Spar, Wilko, Sutherlands, Iceland and Poundland.
What you’ll be doing
The Greencore Degree Apprenticeship Programme is designed to help you reach your potential and build a rewarding career in food.
In partnership with Nottingham Trent University, this 4-year apprenticeship programme
will align your studies to real work to become an integral part of our site Technical team.
You will complete a Food Industry Technical Professional Degree apprenticeship and finish the programme with a BSc Hons in Food Science & Technology.
Based at one of our manufacturing sites, our Degree Apprenticeship provides a blend of on and off the job learning, exposure, experience, and education so that you can develop the knowledge, skills, and behaviours to kickstart your career in the food industry.
Our Technical teams protect our customers and colleagues through promoting high standards
and developing innovative techniques
to ensure food quality and meeting of food safety objectives.
In your Food Industry Technical Professional Degree apprenticeship, you will learn about food chemistry, sustainable food production, raw materials, microbiology of food and how to apply this knowledge to your day job. This includes:
Obtaining Certification information for raw materials such as Certificates of Analysis.
Routine Quality Assurance tasks:
- Collection of samples – raw materials & finished products
- Taking swabs – hand, hygiene, and listeria
- Investigating customer complaints
What we’re looking for
At Greencore we put our people at the core. We celebrate their differences and help everyone to be themselves at work. Together we make every day taste better.
We are looking for you to have a passion for food, and people. You will also be:
- Passionate about working as part of a team, and have an ambition to have a long-term career in the food industry
- Highly motivated to grow your career, studying for a degree alongside doing a demanding day job
- Resilient and equipped to take change in your stride
- Curious, organised and able to use your excellent communication skills to build effective relationships with a range of stakeholders
To join our Degree Apprenticeship, you will need:
- GCSE English language and Math’s at grade C/4 or above
- 3 A Levels at BBB (preferably including a science subject)
- BTEC extended Diploma at DDM
- Or previous relevant work experience
- The right to live and work in the UK
Our operation is 24/7
so you will be required to work shifts. These will vary depending on site and could include early starts from 5am, rotating night shifts and weekends.
You will also be required to travel for attendance at university study blocks, development events or visits to any of our other sites, therefore a full driving license would be advantageous.
If this sounds like you, join us, grow with Greencore and be a part of driving our future success.
What you’ll get in return
Not only will you gain experience across our business whilst completing a fully funded Food Science and Technology and a Food Industry Technical Professional apprenticeship, you will also have access to our Greencore colleague benefits including:
- Time to meet the learning requirements of your apprenticeship
- Dedicated support, coaching and mentoring to support your career development
- Travel and accommodation expenses when attending university
- Competitive salary and job-related benefits
- Pension up to 8% matched
- Access to Greencore qualifications upon completion of your apprenticeship
Applications are due to close on 29th February 2024
, however if there are high volumes of applications, we may close early.
Our first stage virtual assessment will take place between Tuesday 12th – Thursday 14th March 2024.
Induction and enrolment for this role and the apprenticeship will take place in August and September.