Resilience is the ability to bounce back from a challenging event or overcome a series of obstacles.
Gary Blackledge talks about resilience and how he approaches the challenges that happen in everyday life.
According to Gary, resilience is the ability to bounce back from a challenging event or overcome a series of obstacles that have gotten in the way of an individual achieving their goals. He believes that resilience and mindset have a strong connection and there are differences between ‘fixed mindset’ and ‘growth mindset’.
- Tends to avoid challenges
- Gives up easily
- Ignores useful negative feedback
- Embraces challenges
- Persists in the face of adversity
- Learns from criticism
On a further note, Greg believes that resiliency is extremely important because obstacles will always arise in an effort to derail you from your goals. Here are his tips on how to build resilience:
1. Plan. ‘Overcoming obstacles and challenges become exponentially easier and more realistic when there is already an action plan in place.’
2. Be aware that increasing our awareness and ability is a multiple-step process that we can achieve with:
- Establishing our goal
- Identifying the necessary steps to make that goal happen
- Diagnosing potential obstacles that may arise
- Creating an action plan to maximize the necessary steps and minimize potential obstacles
- Implementing the action plan
If you’re already thinking about building a resilience start with thinking about what you would like to accomplish to improve your health and wellbeing. Think of reasons why this goal matters to you. Write it down so you can track your steps.
For full article – https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/financial-life-focus/201711/building-your-resilience-muscle?get=params
If you are experiencing difficulties with your mental health, please seek advice from a medical professional or the Samaritans helpline at 116 123.